Dealing With New Changes In Our Community Life Today


By Sister Sylvia de Bruijn - Agnietenhove community

For over fifty years I have lived in ‘ordinary’ communities. With this I mean that older and younger sisters lived in such a community. They were sisters who were active all day with sisters who could take it easier because of their age. Since October 2009 I have lived in the community of Agnietenhove with only old to very old sisters. At my age of 79 I belong to the youngest of all. The sisters are all familiar to me. I have known each one in her active life and then it is rather painful for me to see them so old now, with all the handicaps that come with old age.
Life in such a community makes me often reflect. Here you often see the lame one guide the blind one. Someone who herself has already difficulties in walking, hands a walker to her neighbor. You remind each other what day it is and when and where activities take place. You have to remain patient when, during coffee time, your neighbour tells you the same story for the fourth time, or asks every time and again what time it is and what day it is. Another fault you meet every time is that so many sisters have hearing problems; they do not understand or hear wrongly what has been said. Everything has to be repeated again for them.
There are also many plusses to this composition of the community. Everyone knows out of experience that getting older is not easy and it goes along several faults and pains and through this everyone has patience and sympathy with the other.
Each sister celebrated at least her golden jubilee. She has formed her own life of prayer, knows a lot about the history of the Congregation and knows many sisters. That does not mean that it is necessary to have long talks about this, that is even impossible, but you notice that the sisters have a strong bond with each other, with the Congregation and with God.
Since I have lived in Agnietenhove, I already experienced several times that a member of the community died. Together as community, we then take leave of her on the evening before the funeral. I find this very impressive and touching every time again. Then I feel strongly united with my community.
Every other year we celebrate a common Sacrament of the Sick as a sacrament of consolation and encouragement. I experience this solemnity also every time in this way.
Shortly: we form a very special, particular community in which it is not always easy to live, but in which we would not like to miss each other.
______________ 
Translated by Sr. Jacqueline van Breemen